Why is an ERA test necessary?
Traditionally, the reasons for the failure of an in vitro fertilization procedure have been difficult to ascertain. While doctors know that a positive uterine environment is required for implantation, the factors that influence a particular woman’s challenges can vary greatly. After several failed cycles of in vitro fertilization, most doctors will perform an anatomic assessment, tests for blood clotting, and genetic testing, but these basic exams don’t tell the whole story.
In general, around 40% of women find success in their first cycle of IVF and around 70% are pregnant after their third. However, this leaves around 30% of women who have spent significant time and money without seeing results. (Where did you get this data from) An ERA test can improve these odds, providing enhanced insight into complications that may be affecting conception. The chemical analysis involved in the test can identify whether the biopsy was taken at the proper time, or if it was late or early as well as by how many days. This can correct issues in timing, improving the environment of the uterus in future attempts.
What is the ERA success rate?
When used properly, an ERA test can provide valuable information fertility doctors can use to correct the timing of IVF cycles. While very effective under certain circumstances, an ERA test will only yield meaningful results if the timing of implantation is a contributing factor in implantation failure. Approximately 25% of presumed normal patients and around 25% of patients with recurrent pregnancy loss are abnormal on this test and may see future success when timing is adjusted.